In his book, The Gospel and Personal Evangelism, Mark Dever gives 12 practical steps that Christians should take towards becoming evangelists (paraphrased):
- Pray. Ask God for opportunities and the power to take advantage of them.
- Plan to evangelize.
- Accept that evangelism is our job as Christians.
- Understand that God requires faithfulness even if we don’t feel gifted.
- Be faithful even when you have a cultural excuse not to evangelize.
- Take risks even if it may jeopardize a relationship.
- Prepare to evangelize, whether it be practicing on friends or thinking about answering potential objections to the gospel.
- Look for opportunities, expecting God to answer #1.
- Love others. This love will overcome our fear and help us to value their soul more than our pride.
- Fear God. “When we don’t share the gospel, we are essentially refusing to live in the fear of the Lord.”
- Stop blaming God for being sovereign. “We should not conclude from his omnipotence that our obedience is therefore pointless.”
- Consider Jesus (Hebrews 12:3).